Faithfulness – the Lenten Journey

The seventh fruit of the Spirit is faithfulness. It is closely related to goodness.

Faithfulness is the ability to follow God’s will through every uncertain, darkened turn in our lives. It is the ability to put our trust, our faith, completely in the hands of a power greater than ourselves.

The Bible often remarks that Faith is a gift from God. I never really understood that paradox. We need Faith to experience God, but that Faith is also a gift from God. It still remains an intriguing paradox, but one which I can see and understand more clearly.

We need a leap of Faith to believe, but once that Faith is rewarded, in even the smallest of circumstances, we see the power. We then can continue on that road of Faith even when there aren’t small circumstances, but massive, unpredictable ones.

I know it doesn’t help when I write about general circumstances and conditions. But, I can’t really fully share my story yet. It isn’t completely my story to tell. I share this journey with another human being.

I can tell you that through the multiple grounds of darkness I have trod through with a heavy, burdened heart that my Faith has sustained me. It was Faith born of hope that God would remain faithful in his promise to not harm me but prosper me. God has asked me to stay in difficult, heart breaking, soul crushing circumstances because in those struggles he knew I would be forged into a great thing. I would emerge through my trials the writer you read before you and the friend that can sustain another through hell without judgement.

When my troubles first began, a single thought sustained me. I didn’t like it, but it rang with such forcefulness that all I could do was hang my head before it and be obedient to God’s will in my life.

I have this picture hanging in my family room. It says “Faith doesn’t get us around adversity. It gets us through it.” It then quotes scripture from Joshua 1:9, “Be strong and courageous for the lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

IMG_5690

I often looked at this when I felt my heart breaking, and my Faith weakening like cracks on a glass floor as if about to break and pummel me with shards of glass.

But, God has never abandoned me. Even in the darkness, He always offered a pinpoint of light to guide me. It was then that Faith was a gift, because I couldn’t see a way out. I just trusted, from past experience, that God would NEVER let me fall. He never has. He never will. That is the manifestation of faithfulness as a fruit of the spirit. I only have to reach out 10% of the way. God will give the other 90%. Hell. I only have to give 1%, God will give the rest. But, we must choose to have faith first.

I leave you with this scripture from Mathew 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s